|Position||Community Outreach Worker|
|Salary||$22.00 – $25.00 per hour plus benefits|
|Reports to||Program Manager|
|Status||Full Time, (40 hours/week), Non Exempt|
The Coalition for Community Safety and Justice (CCSJ) – a joint effort of CYC, Chinese for Affirmative Action, Chinese Progressive Association, and New Breath Foundation, was formed to respond to violence affecting the Asian community, to learn from other community centered initiatives and to develop culturally competent and trauma informed responses to interracial violence and anti-Asian racism.
The CCSJ will undertake a comprehensive three-pronged approach to: 1) develop a crisis intervention and holistic wrap around case management system for Asian immigrant victims/survivors and their families, 2) develop the capacity of Asian residents across the City and County of San Francisco to lead a multicultural community safety planning and oversight process to ensure that healing and individual/communal accountability is community driven, and 3) engage in cross-cultural racial community building and restorative justice work that will focus on the building of community relationships and trust between their respective communities, with the goal of framing alternative solutions to address the long-standing tensions between the Black and Chinese resulting from a series of violent incidents. Our community outreach and victim advocate team, led by Community Youth Center of SF, consists of a team of dedicated bilingual Community Outreach Workers from different ethnic backgrounds to service the needs of the population.
The Community Outreach Worker will work with a team of dedicated bilingual Community Outreach Workers from different ethnic backgrounds to service the needs of the program. Responsibilities will include but not limited to street level outreach and relationship building, providing holistic and culturally competent support services to victims of crime and their families, facilitating conflict mediation and leading cross cultural training that leads to healing and racial solidarity.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct street level outreach during the day and increase visibility and deepen the relationship with Chinese residents and merchants in SF high-need neighborhoods – Chinatown, Vis Valley, Bayview, Tenderloin, and as well as communities of color.
- Expand and leverage other outreach programs such as Street Violence Intervention Program aligned with our coalition’s values to conduct multi-cultural street outreach in Chinatown and different high-need districts.
- Provide holistic and culturally competent services to victims of crime and their family, centering their healing and their needs for physical to mental health, daily necessities, housing and employment, etc.
- Work in conjunction with other CYC programs and other community service providers to provide effective and comprehensive services.
- Provide mediations in response to conflicts in community and facilitate meetings with related parties during the intervention/reintegration processes.
- Build with other people of color organizations by leading cross cultural training that center in healing and racial solidarity.
- Build community relationships and trust between the two communities to address the Black and Chinese tensions which will help frame our alternative solutions to the community.
- Participate in trainings, team meetings and community meetings as necessary.
- Develop cooperative relationships with law enforcement, parents and families, collaborative agencies and other service providers.
- Maintain accurate documentation and statistics on client services, and produces monthly reports for granting agencies.
- Support events, activities, and other projects that promote violence prevention and reduction in the Asian community.
- Other duties as assigned by the Management.
- Outreach to youth, community members, and schools.
- Bachelor’s degree in social services or related areas or Minimum two years of experience conducting street outreach, conflict mediation and crisis response.
- Experience working with San Francisco’s diverse communities and neighborhoods.
- Knowledge of San Francisco Criminal Justice System.
- Knowledge of community based agencies in San Francisco.
- Knowledge in computer skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational, collaboration and facilitation skills.
- Able to lift or move at least 25lbs.
- Bilingual in Cantonese or Mandarin and English is PREFERRED.
- Ability to work some evenings, weekends, and outdoor activities.
- Must have a valid CA driver’s license and a clean driving record.
- Must be able to pass insurance requirements for van usage.
- Commitment to taking regular Covid-19 health tests as required by program health and safety guidelines and/or current health directives.
- Ability to complete Covid-19 vaccination requirement unless the individual qualifies for an exemption due to a disability or religious reason (Exemptions must be approved by H.R.)
CYC is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of race, age, religion, gender, marital status, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other basis recognized by federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Please submit cover letter and resume to CYC Main Office via email: email@example.com
Attn: Community Outreach Worker
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org